Friday, September 16, 2011

Blog Assignment One

It was freshmen year of high school and I was sitting in my third hour typing class. The teacher smelled like cigarettes and looked to be eighty years old. “Log onto your machines” she said, she always called the computers machines. I logged on with the help of my student ID card because I was too lazy and stubborn to memorize the student number on the back of it. We all clicked on the short cut to the typing program and the first thing that popped up was a message welcoming us to the class and stating that our typing would not be timed for the first week of class so we should focus on keeping our eyes on the computer screen and not on the keys. I thought this was funny how were we supposed to know what keys we were hitting if we weren’t supposed to look at the keyboard? I Clicked on lesson one and began typing my eyes going from screen to keyboard every five seconds.
            I continued typing this way ignoring the teacher’s comments that I had to force myself to not look at the keys and let my fingers learn where the letters were located. Soon I realized my classmates were considerably faster than I was at typing. How did they do it? It dawned on me that their eyes stayed on the computer screen while their fingers automatically found the right letters on the keyboard. Wow who knew that was actually possible.
            I passed typing with a C plus that semester which my parents weren’t happy about. Even though I hate to admit it looking back I learned something more important than how to type correctly in my third hour class, I learned that listening to a teacher is usually the best course of action in a class. That sounds lame but at least for me, it’s true

No comments:

Post a Comment